Cavs Elite Classic Tournament Game Rules
- All players on the roster must have the necessary paperwork on file in order to participate.
- At least one coach on each team must be a USA Basketball Licensed Coach. If there is not already a USA Basketball Licensed Coach on your staff the Cavs will cover the cost of the Associated Coach License online certification, please click here to get started. The certification must be completed before April 8th, 2019.
- Games will consist of four (4) eight (8) minute periods.
- Mercy Rule: In the 3rd and 4th period if a team is leading by 30 points or more the clock will continue to run during dead ball situations, other than timeouts. When the lead is reduced to 29 points or less, the clock will stop as per normal game play.
- Each game will have a five (5) minute warm-up and (5) minute halftime (based on flow of games).
- Game play will begin with a jump ball and follow alternating possession thereafter.
- Extra period(s) will consist of a four (4) minute period and begin with alternating possession.
- Girls will use 28.5” game balls; Boys will use 29.5” game balls.
- Two (2) 60-second timeouts in 1st half & three (3) 60-second timeouts in 2nd half – no carryover.
- Can only take two (2) timeouts when two (2) minutes or less is showing on the clock in last period. If a team has not taken a timeout by the 2-minute mark in 4th period, then they lose a timeout.
- Timeouts can only be called by coaches and are only granted during dead ball periods. Timeout requests must be made with a referee.
- Only one (1) 60-second timeout per extra period - no carryover.
- There is a 30 second shot clock for the entire game. The shot clock will reset to 30 seconds on possession of offensive and defensive rebounds.
- The shot clock will reset to 30 seconds on any foul or jump ball.
- In the last two (2) minutes of the 4th period or extra period(s), if there is a jump ball and the possession arrow indicates that the ball will remain with the offense, the shot clock will NOT reset.
- The shot clock will reset to thirty (30) seconds on any kick ball.
- In the last two (2) minutes of the 4th period or extra period(s), if there is a kick ball, the shot clock will NOT reset.
- The player limit is five (5) fouls.
- On the 5th team foul each period, teams will shoot a 2-shot bonus (there is no 1&1).
- On a free throw, substitutions are allowed before the first free throw attempt and after the last free throw attempt if the free throw is made. Substitutions are not allowed between free throw attempts.
Tie Breakers: (Pool Play)
*All total points are from the 2 games combined.
- A teams’ total points given up within their respective pool
- Total points given up in the 4th quarter
- Total points given up in the 3rd quarter
- Total points given up in the 2nd quarter
- Total points given up in the 1st quarter
- Total points scored
*A forfeited game score is 20-0.